Monday, March 31, 2014

The Wonders of Athletic Tape

At the beginning of the month I was feeling discomfort on my foot when I would bend my toes downward. I thought I had probably stepped wrong while running, but the discomfort continued for almost two weeks so I decided to mention it to Emily Sevilla,  my mentor, a physical therapist for 30 years. I explained the pain I felt and she told me it was most likely the arc of my foot flattening out due to the lack of support in my running shoes. She then told me that taping the arc of my foot with athletic tape would help with supporting the arc and demonstrated how I should tape it. 
I did some research on my own about athletic taping and I found out that using athletic taping helps reduce the pain a person feels by building support. The taping doesn't let the joint or area extend all the way to the point where pain is felt and also reducing the rang of flection. Taping is done differently for each area that is being targeted.  
Athletic Tape 

Taping for the arch of the foot.

Taping for the knee.

No comments:

Post a Comment