Thursday, February 6, 2014

Blog 14: Independent Component 1


  • Literal
         (a) I, Jazmin Castro, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work
         (b) My mentor, Emily Sevilla, helped me complete my independent component by allowing me to volunteer with her for another additional 30 hours.
         (d) My independent component was simply to do an additional 30 hours of mentorship with my mentor, Emily Sevilla. Through my independent component I learned a lot about the muscles that make up the leg and the different types of exercises that help strengthen those muscles. I also was able to give a patient her entire treatment and saw the progress the patients have made over time.

  • Interpretive
          
This is where I go every Tuesday and Thursday after I finish, to wait for my parents to pick me up.

This is the gym inside of Emeritus, where I spent most of my time working with the patients and cleaning.

These are steps they have inside the gym to have patients practice walking up and down the stairs.

This is a stepper, which helps patients with leg motion when they can not stand on their own.
These are the parallel bars which assist the patient when walking because they have support from the bars.
  • Applied
          This component really helped understand the foundation of physical therapy by being around the work area and being able to see how patients do progress over time. My mentor, Emily Sevilla, gave me a lot of great information on muscle development and what the muscles intent is, for example the tibialis anterior which is a muscle located on the side of the shin, that assist on lifting your toes off the ground and being able to walk properly.With all the different explanations of muscle function my mentor has told me and explained to me has helped me a lot on my research checks because I have been doing research on the different things she has talked to me about.

No comments:

Post a Comment