Friday, January 31, 2014

Hands on Experience

When I began doing my mentorship at Emeritus at San Dimas I wasn't allowed to work hands on with the patients. The only thing I was allowed to do was observe and get any equipment that my mentor needed. Now, I am allowed to work hands on with the patients if they are okay with it and if the patient is almost at full recovery.
This month I had the opportunity to give a patient her full treatment. She was recovering from a fall and had lost strength in her legs. I had her do leg extensions with a 2 pound ankle weight, knee bends with a resistance band, ball squeezes, leg abductions,and toe taps. Each exercise was done in sets of ten and repeated three times. My mentor was watching over me and making sure everything was being done correctly. Being able to work with a patient hands on for her entire treatment made me apply everything my mentor has been teaching me since day one and showed I have learned a lot from all the hours I've done so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment